I am not the body. I am not even the mind

Posted on Updated on

######## ###########################################

I receive a number of hits on this page every day.  Please be sure to review my other posts regarding the Inner Engineering program.  If you are from Isha, have attended the Inner Engineering program or just have questions, please feel free to email me @   themiddlepane@gmail.com

####################################################

Next weekend I will be attending an Inner Engineering event put on by the Isha Institute.  This event is led by Sadhguru who is a self-realized yogi.  I have never attended anything like this and while it feels a little “new age-y” to me, I am looking forward to it.  I am looking for assistance in dropping the veil of this illusion.  I have had the feeling that I am on the cusp of something for the past few months, but I cannot seem to make that leap alone.  However, I am trying to not have any expectations for this experience so that I can accept it as it comes.

The video above gives an introduction to Isha Kyria meditation.  Isha means the source of creation and Kriya means an inner action towards that.  Where Karma is external action and thought, Kriya is internal.  In order to be freed from suffering I must change my perspective. I have come to realize over the past few days via this introduction and the accompanying meditation (along with various posts on Tumblr) that a change in perspective is not a change in who I am.

The meditation is focused on the thoughts “I am not the body” and “I am not even the mind”.      The thought is then dropped to focus on intoning a sound designed to align the chakras at a central junction point, and then nothing.  Throughout the meditation all thought and body feelings are to be ignored or put aside and one is to sit there and let those pass.  In looking at this meditation, it does not feel that different than Buddhist meditation.

Sadhguru teaches that we are separate from mind and body.  The more that we realize that, the more that we will be able to use the mind and the body as a tool.  Dial it up from 1 to 10.  There is breath, thought, and awareness. The meditation is designed to move from untruth to truth.

On a personable level Sadhguru seems humble and accessible.  He has numerous humanitarian efforts going on, and he doesn’t seem to ask for anything from followers.  A lot of followers do end up giving their time and effort, but it seems to be a completely voluntary act.

One of the reasons that I became interested in Sadhguru is that there is an Isha center not too far from me.  It is still a few hour drive, but it at least isn’t in India.  I have been fidgeting with the idea of going to a Buddhist center in my city.  I put it off and put it off.  The Isha center offered this Inner Engineering course as an online study and a one day onsite at their center.  I thought about that.  Then I found out that Sadhguru is holding an event himself in Atlanta, and that was the push that I needed to put something into action.  I told my wife what I wanted to do, and she was supportive.

Admittedly, I do feel a little awkward doing the meditation.  I have yet to do it in front of my wife or family, but I have never been one for spiritual practices.  If this is the path for me, then I will overcome that.  It may only be a piece of the journey.  Most likely the next step after this will be to further explore the Isha practice or the Buddhist center in my area.  The Buddhist center would fit into a more regular, in person practice for me.  I think that I can use everything that I learn from this experience in that practice.  But again, I want to take things as they come.  The end result may be completely different than any expectations that I have.  (I know I can’t drop them all).

Travelling with my family this past weekend, I used a few different highways, city streets, and back roads.  There was no straight path to my destination.  There were many different options of getting from point A to point B.  The interesting thing is that they were all connected.  No matter the path, my destination ended up being the same.  The shorter distance route went through cities and caused stress driving.  It seemed to take forever.  The longer route went through beautiful mountain and pastoral countryside and felt quicker.  It was less stressful, and even enjoyable.

My Other Posts on Inner Engineering

About these ads

41 thoughts on “I am not the body. I am not even the mind

loquacionist said:
    April 11, 2013 at 10:37 am

The first paragraph of your post provides a close description of the way I feel about going to the Inner-engineering conference (I assume you’re talking about the one in Atlanta). I’m also pretty new to the whole mediation thing, practicing Sadhguru’s Kriya. It still feels new-agey to me, hippie-ish, you know, and I don’t really talk about it too much either. Though I considered it, I’m not going to the workshop Atlanta, not comfortable enough with it yet to take it that far… tho I want to do something like that someday. As it seems like we’re pretty similar in our feelings about mediation, I’m looking forward to hearing about how the Inner-Engineering thing goes for you… Good luck.

April 11, 2013 at 6:17 pm

Yes, I am talking about the event in Atlanta. I would be lying if I said I was not skeptical. However, my goal is nothing sort of attainment of enlightenment in as quick a fashion as is possible to end suffering for myself and all sentient beings. And really it is realization of enlightenment that I am after as I believe that we are already in an enlightened state.

There are inconsistencies in how the world appears to function to me, and my hope is that through this I will be able to rid myself of those inconsistencies. Without having delved too deeply into the long term path that Sadhguru offers, from the talks that I have seen he has achieved what I am talking about. I view this as the closest opportunity that I have to interact with a truly enlightened master. It is very auspicious that he is visiting this area while I am open to this teaching. It would be very inauspicious if I did not take advantage of it. This event allows me to dive into the teaching directly without needing to interpret others interpretation of the path to enlightenment.

I don’t know how this will fit into my long term spiritual path. I was raised Christian, and I am not sure how my family and friends would react to me participating in something like this, but I am also assuming that this is part of the veil that will be dropped when moving from truth to untruth. All I can do is open myself to whatever potential that this experience represents.

Thank you for your comment and for the follow. I will be sure to post on the session. I wish you the best in your journey.

Monica said:
      April 13, 2013 at 5:41 pm

Hey! Just stumbled upon this post. I also thought it was a lot of mumbo jumbo but to be honest, I was pleasantly surprised. I was shocked at the amount of “technical” and “scientific” langauge he speaks with. Hope you can still go- I’ve been doing the meditation and it’s worked miracles for me… new age or not ;)

Dipsydoodle said:
      June 1, 2013 at 4:30 am

You know many Native people have been doing this for thousands of years. Native Americans, Africans etc. The New Age movement is liked by practitioners of Non Christian spirituality/faith that are like what Sadhguru is teaching., connecting to the one (my one is all lol!), meditation, connecting and being part of the planet. Even the Irish, English, Scottish etc had nature spirits and Faeries. These groups don’t believe in ego. Lol, sorry didn’t mean to steal your thread, I used to feel that same way when I was younger, Sadhguru is on youtube btw. The Secret also teaches these same principles (The Seret does work, it sounds gimmicky but its based on teachings from Yogis, Monks, and the elite and rich of the industrial revolution. I know you’ll find what you’re looking for! (^ ^)

Dipsydoodle said:
        June 1, 2013 at 4:33 am

Oops, I’m sorry what I meant to say was The New Age movement isn’t liked by teachers of true older Philosphies PRE-Christian era. Thanks for letting me clear that up!

June 1, 2013 at 7:40 am

I think that there are many paths to the same truth. A lot of individuals get caught up in thinking that their path is the only way. This is only insecurity in your own convictions and thoughts. It is fear that if someone else’s path is a path to truth then your own path must be false. The negative that we see in others usually ends up being a reflection of our own feelings. Now I don’t really know how you reconcile that with some people thinking that their path is through violence and murder. I do believe that peace, compassion and empathy are a way to the light. I guess I wonder if those people that perform violent acts truly believe that they are doing good. I guess they are all steps along the journey. Some will take longer than others.

I have watched a video on The Secret, but I have not read the book. I did at one time create a virtual vision board, but I never did a physical one to put in front of me. I think that the universe responds to our vibrations, positive and negative. One of the problems that I have with the thoughts laid out in The Secret and like programs is that it seems to stress materialistic gains as opposed to focusing energies on peace and compassion. Nothing in The Secret seemed to point to or even suggest that you can use your positive energies to create a better life for those around you as well as yourself. A change in perspective is a change in the world. Maybe I didn’t watch all of the video or I need to read the book.

Sandy said:
    April 11, 2013 at 6:21 pm

Interesting – very interested in hearing what you get out of this event.

April 12, 2013 at 10:36 am

So I was a little skeptical before, but I am a lot more skeptical now. This thread which dates back to 2009 and is still being updated at present discusses some of the negative and cult-like aspects of Isha. I am definitely keeping my eyes more open now. The whole altered states and spasms thing is a bit concerning to me. It brings back thoughts of snake worshiping religions and speaking in tongues.

Monica said:
    April 13, 2013 at 6:03 pm

Hi bg; I enjoyed reading your thought pattern because I can relate to it so much. I exactly felt the same way you did (I was looking to the last Isha program); I was raised in a conservative Catholic family and had big reservations about attending the program especially after reading the site you posted about and one more. I actually cancelled my spot and thought it’s too much hassle to get into. By coincidence that day I was working close to where the venue was so I just wanted to kind of “drop in” and see at least what kind of crowd was showing up, what they were serving to eat, etc; to be honest I was shocked that most of the volunteers and participants seemed just like normal people – no dreadlocks no weird hippies no strong body odor, and the likes. So I thought what the hell, registered again and stayed for the program.

Cons- yes there are some people who “sway”, maybe get a little too intense, but it was just a handful and they looked like nutjobs to begin with. Food is vegetarian- so if you are used to eating meat you may want to pack some extra snacks. There is some talk about religion but not for, mostly about seeking things out for yourself and not believing everything at face value, etc

Pros- though the food was veg, it was actually good. Volunteers are very helpful. Sadhguru spoke in a very logical way, breaking down things step by step and adding some humor when needed; he also took the time to interact with the audience which was nice.

Takeaway- basically a 20 minute meditation which you are supposed to every day for some 40 days and then they say beyond that you can keep it up if you wish. I found it was very helpful the first month or so, after that I have been on and off but that’s mostly my fault, but when I do meditate I can feel the peaceful effects.

Overall I would recommend it. You really don’t have anything to loose; even if you don’t get anything out of it, you still get three days of good (veg) food, nice discourse, music, meditation, wisdom and some fun (sometime even the nutjobs are fun to watch)! ;)

All the best and keep us updated!

April 13, 2013 at 6:50 pm

Monica. Thank you so much for sharing. Admittedly, I have been a little more concerned after finding that thread, but pretty much everything has its detractors. I am trying to keep an open mind. Everything that I have read seems to point to the positive effects of the meditation. All of the videos I have seen of Sadhguru point to him being genuine. I am curious how many enlightened students/followers that he has produced.

This “test” has given me a few things to watch out for:

In comparing what I know of Sadhguru to this list, the main concerns are the accessibility and whether he is putting the spirituality or himself first. The webpages and talks all seem focused on his charismatic face. At the same time, everything that he talks about is a way to break free of suffering and separate the self from the body and mind. It seems like a lot of religions/philosophies point in that same direction, Buddhism included.

I watched a lecture last night given by the Dalai Lama. This was very timely as well since it gives me something to compare Sadhguru against. I am no longer sure what to expect from this event, which is probably a good thing. I did briefly think about cancelling the trip, but I think that I would end up regretting it if I didn’t. If it isn’t a fit for me, then it isn’t a fit and like you said I have nothing to lose.

Thank you again for your comment!

Monica said:
    April 13, 2013 at 7:43 pm

That’s a nice website! Where did you find it?! That would have been helpful to have with a few other figures- not just “gurus” but a whole lot of other “preachers” that unfortunately I’ve found out the hard way about!

To be honest, these days I’m a bit skeptical of the Dalai Lama too. I know he has good intentions and has inspired so many; and I’m glad he took a stance to keep the living tradition of Buddhism going, but sometime I can’t help to feel a lot of things he does are political. I guess maybe that’s the way they have to play the game; if they want to influence the politicians, I guess they have to play some politics.

I was also curious to see how many enlightened beings there were with Sadhguru but honestly the spiritual side of it was secondary to me because I was mostly looking for more of the health and peace benefits of meditation. So I did get out of it what I was looking for; though that is a valid point.
    If you have a minute, please share the Dalai Lama lecture, I’d be interested to watch it too.

Take care and keep us posted!

April 13, 2013 at 8:22 pm

I found a reference to those points through “The Wanderling’s” website. I am not really sure how to explain the Wanderling if you are not familiar with him. He is a reclusive master that studied under Sri Ramana Maharshi. His website is a spider’s web of information. You could spend weeks going through the material without even scratching the surface. I believe him to be the real deal.

You raise a good point about the Dalai Lama. They still exist in this physical realm, so it seems they must play that game. Is an enlightened person beyond causality? To even attempt to answer the question seems prone to misstep. I guess I read all of these stories about enlightenment being delivered with the words of a master, and I am intrigued.

The Dalai Lama lecture I watched was called “Compassion in Emptiness” and it is available on Netflix streaming. It is worth checking out.

I wish you the best.

April 14, 2013 at 12:52 pm

Monica,

I am curious what you found helpful/different about the Sadhguru meditation techniques over other meditation and yoga? Did you attend a seminar run by Sadhguru, and if so, where? Do you have access to Sadhguru through email or other means now that the seminar is over?

Thanks!

Monica said:
    April 15, 2013 at 12:54 pm

Hi bg,

I went to the seminar run by Sadhguru, it was in Houston about a year ago. I was drawn to it because it seemed authentic, which is what I was looking for. I initially got into yoga for health related problems which were alleviated to some extent, but the mental attachment to my body and my pain I guess was still there.

So I started looking at other aspects, such as going beyond the body and discovering something more profound to life. That is when I started to look for something more authentic, and Sadhguru seemed like the real thing.

I have found the techniques to be very helpful in terms of health as well as getting some distance between me and my body. In terms of my personal journey, it definitely provides to tools for self-discovery, but I have not utilized that aspect as I don’t feel ready to look at the internal mirror yet!

There is support system, every city has monthly gatherings where you can go get your practice corrected, do extra meditation, etc and meet others in the community; I went just a few times in the last year but there is an opportunity to “pass a note” to Sadhguru via teachers and get an answer back. I haven’t explored this option yet.

Hope this helps. Just don’t want to create an impression one way or the other about it as it will be influenced by my personal experience.

April 18, 2013 at 6:39 pm

Monica,

Thank you again for sharing your experience. Less than 24 hours and I will find out for myself. I admittedly am a bit nervous about the whole thing. I am trying to take it as a new experience and opportunity. If I get nothing more than a way to help calm my mind, then it will have been worth it. Your comments have helped ease me a bit for this, and I am not as worried about it being a cult or such now. :)

Thanks again!
      bg

Monica said:
        April 20, 2013 at 11:11 pm

I wanted to wait until you finish your program before disturbing you- but I got too anxious! Let us know how it went; I’m really curious! :) (after your finish, of course…)

April 21, 2013 at 12:10 pm

Thanks for checking in. Again I want to thank you for your input. You can read my review of each day on this blog.

goldeneaglefeather said:
    April 17, 2013 at 2:49 am

Hey bj, first, thanks for following my blog. As you said, there are many roads that all lead home. We all know what it feels like to get home – it’s a place of rest, it’s cozy, it’s safe. Home is a place to heal, to be with family and friends. At home, we have the freedom to do nothing, or to do things that nurture us. Home is a place to find and express love. Whether the path of this particular master leads you “home” or whether it is another path, or still another, does not matter. All that matters is that sense of coming home, because we all crave that sense of home – and our spirits all share the same home even though the interior decoration might look a bit different for each of us. Love, Golden Eagle Feather

April 18, 2013 at 6:46 pm

Thank you for your wise words. It is comforting to know that no matter our choice or any mistakes we may make along the way, home is still there for us. It is our decision to go home that ensures that we will make it there. It is our decision to drop all illusion that will make us realize that we are already there. Thank you again my friend. I am happy to share my home with you.

goldeneaglefeather said:
        April 19, 2013 at 5:55 am

Ahhh….that feels good. When we give love, we receive love. The Grandmothers say that the moment of giving is the moment of receiving – and if we don’t receive at the moment we are giving, then we are not giving at all. Blessings, Golden Eagle Feather

The Persecution of Mildred Dunlap said:
    April 23, 2013 at 9:31 am

Going or doing anything without expectations, a good thing. Enjoy. Paulette

April 24, 2013 at 7:59 pm

That is always the ideal, but it is hard to do in practice. Thank you for checking out my blog. namaste.

stockdalewolfe said:
    April 23, 2013 at 2:54 pm

Good luck on your journey!! I hope you find peace. I have been having better meditations lately. Find it works well with the writing and life in general. Sometimes it seems I can’t sit still but I will stick with it now. Going to listen to your video. Thank you for following my blog. Listened to the video– it was great. Thank you so much for posting it. I will try this practice.

April 24, 2013 at 7:58 pm

Thank you very much. I think that meditation is probably the best way to go for quieting the mind and letting things flow. I have put this off and done it haphazardly, but as with everything it requires practice. It is the practice. Namaste.

jalal michael sabbagh.http://gravatar.com/jmsabbagh86@gmail.com said:
    April 24, 2013 at 9:51 pm

An extra ordinary inspiring post.Thank you for following my Blog.Greetings.jalal

April 24, 2013 at 10:02 pm

Thank you. And thank you for checking out my blog.

Monica said:
    April 30, 2013 at 10:23 pm

Read your review, very comprehensive and in some aspects very accurate. I completed the course and did not experience what you had predicted would happen on day 3, but as you pointed out everyone hopefully gets out of out if what they want. Wishing you all the best in your journey and thank you so much for sharing. It was nice to read about it again.

May 1, 2013 at 7:51 pm

I have no doubt that I constructed and misconstrued a lot of things in my mind. I was starting to question things and once I did that I lost any neutral position that I might have had.

I am glad that it was a positive experience for you. Through it all, even skipping the last day, it was really a positive one for me as well.

Thank you again for your comments and for checking out this blog. I wish you the best as well.

Namaste

Inner Engineering Day 1 | The Middle Pane said:
    June 3, 2013 at 8:56 am

[…] I am not the body, I am not even the mind […]

Inner Engineering Day 2 | The Middle Pane said:
    June 3, 2013 at 8:57 am

[…] I am not the body, I am not even the mind […]

Inner Engineering Day 3 | The Middle Pane said:
    June 3, 2013 at 8:58 am

[…] I am not the body, I am not even the mind […]

marina kanavaki said:
    August 14, 2013 at 6:18 pm

Seen this video so many times, yet never enough! Thank you for sharing it here! :-) and thanks for following!
    Namaste.

August 14, 2013 at 7:19 pm

Thank you for checking out the blog. Sadhguru has a way of putting things. I just didn’t gel with everything that he said.

Thanks also for the follow-back.

Namaste

Rohit said:
    November 2, 2013 at 8:55 am

I am having some trouble with the idea of not being the mind. I can somewhat see how I am not the body. If I am not the mind then what am I?

November 2, 2013 at 6:54 pm

You are not your thoughts. Your thoughts are delusions based upon past events and fantasies of the future that are not happening now. Since they are not happening now, how can they be you? There is a difference between self and self-concept. Self is who you are. Self-concept is this image that you have of your self based on these false machinations of the mind. You are something beyond body, beyond mind, beyond thought, beyond description, beyond everything. I cannot tell you what you are. I can only tell you what you are not.

Rohit said:
        November 3, 2013 at 2:28 pm

Can we ever know what self is? Or is it just something we can experience… and by experiencing I guess we understand what self is a bit better? (How does one experience self?)

Another confusion I have is how spirituality fits with science… I cannot see how they can cooperate, can you explain this?

November 3, 2013 at 5:40 pm

I cannot really answer questions except through my own experience. I don’t think that the self can be fully known through our limited mind concepts. The self is beyond concept and beyond limits. To describe in words, pictures, … is to limit what cannot be limited. I think that you are correct in that we can experience the self. In fact, our experience here is an experience of the self. To better experience the unlimited nature of the self, I think that you have to consistently practice meditation. I am less than a novice in this regard.

I see science as just another finger pointing at the moon trying to describe existence. It is not much different than spirituality. A lot of religions and spiritual movements seem to have their roots in descriptions of astrological movements. Science helps describe this physical existence and the rules for movement within it. Spirituality has long described things that science is just beginning to uncover such as quantum entanglement. I think that both are tools that we can use to better understand our world, universe and beyond. The Dalai Lama has even said that if science proves any part of Buddhism wrong, then Buddhism will have to change. I don’t know if other religions/philosophies/whatever are that open.

Steve Morris said:
    December 23, 2013 at 10:16 am

Is it possible that you are not the body, not even the mind, but the perception of your mind by itself?

Happy Old Year!! | Middle Pane said:
    December 31, 2013 at 9:18 pm

[…] I am not the body. I am not even the mind […]

[…] itself.  You can read about my journey over the past year.  One of the highlights is my trip to Inner Engineering.  Just like my spiritual practice, I dip in my toes, but remain skeptical.  This […]

Harbans said:
    February 28, 2014 at 7:56 am

A revelation in itself. Inner engineering enables us to know ourselves fully and having done that we can just assimilate anything that comes in our way